Our History

Memorable matches.


Swalec Welsh Cup 4th Round (19th December 1992).

Fleur de Lys RFC 9 v 5 Aberavon RFC.

( Extracts from the Independent newspaper )

TWENTY-ONE this year, and the Swalec Welsh Cup celebrated with a day of shocks, including one of the greatest upsets in its history. Fleur-de-Lys sound about as much like a Welsh rugby club as Dewi Morris sounds like an England scrum-half, but were far too convincing for First Division Aberavon in todays’s fourth- round tie, bridging a five-league status gap to win 9-5 and earn a fifth round shot at Bridgend.

Outside half James Egan was the toast of the village side with 3 well struck penalties, although victory must be credited to an immense team display where forwards and backs tackled their hearts out for Flower’s greatest victory in their 100 year history.


Swalec Welsh Cup 5th Round (23rd January 1993).

Fleur de Lys RFC 0 v 12 Bridgend RFC.

Although there was to be no repeat of Flower’s heroic result in the previous round, the players done themselves and the club proud with another battling display. The Bridgend team had no less than 6 Welsh Internationals in their side which included Wales Captain and back row forward David Bryant. Clive Norling the Bridgend Coach could not speak highly enough of the Flower and thought his side had done extremely well to overcome such a well balanced and confident team.

The Bridgend tries were scored by Luc Evans and Gareth Thomas, with Robert Howley having the man of the match award.

For the Flower special mention must go out to veteran back row player and Captain Gary Richards who covered every blade of grass, and centre Robert Cuddihy who bone crushing tackling shook a few Bridgend bodies!!!


National League Division One (24th March 2007).

Fleur de Lys RFC 30 v 26 Pontypool RFC.


Although many of Flowers memorable matches have been in the Cup, this game will always remain in the history books as one of Flower’s greatest truimphs. Pontypool came to Trelyn Park still with an outside chance of automatic promotion back to the Premier Division. Unfortunately their following band of almost a 1000 supporters were greated with a Flower team determined to show their narrow 17-15 defeat earlier in the season at Pontypool Park was no fluke. Two tries by full back Gary Wilks and one by hooker Mark Davies was enough to send Pooler home pointless and promotion looking unlikely!!!